Senior Buyer with engineering / manufacturing experience required near Maidstone, Kent.
Our client is part of a global recycling and packaging group, employing 47000 staff across 370 locations worldwide.
The Senior Buyer will oversee a small team (Stores Assistants, MRP Controller, Buyer and Purchasing Clerk), ensuring the efficient supply of parts and consumables, whilst identifying and delivering cost savings for it’s heavy engineering manufacturing facility in Kent.
Co-ordinating activities using a category management approach
The role entails utilising SAP MRP to manage inventoried spare parts, day to day supervision of the purchasing team, conversion of Purchase orders in accordance with the purchasing policy, sourcing non-stock engineering parts, implementing service contracts as required by the business and being the SAP MM key user for the plant.
Using efficient stock control measures to manage the central stores to ensure security of parts, optimum working capital overhead and a high level of stock accuracy is maintained whilst maintaining compliance to health and safety and legislative requirements.
- Membership of the CIPS Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply at level 4 or above
- Extensive experience in a purchasing role with some supervisory experience gained from a manufacturing or heavy engineering environment
- Relevant management qualification (ILM level 3 or equivalent)
- Category Management experience
- Used SAP MM (or similar) within a purchasing role and with extensive troubleshooting experience
- Experience in negotiations with a proven track record of achievement in cost reduction initiatives.
- Ability to manage the tender process.
- Day to day management of direct reports, including Time System Management, appraisals & PDP’s
- Assist Purchasing Manager in the implementation of category management approach to develop cost reduction strategies
- Support the Purchasing Manager with any site specific requirements or group purchasing instructions as may be required from time to time
- Manage the re-order points for spare parts, investigate and liaise with Engineering to ensure correct stock quantities are maintained of suitable spares
- Manage consignment stocks ensuring all settlements are carried out on a monthly cycle
- Manage the creation of material master data in SAP for spare parts
- Source non-stock engineering parts and where required introduce new vendors and alternative brands to keep costs competitive
- Record all cost savings in a departmental spreadsheet for audit purposes
- Ensure the SAP physical inventory checks are carried out daily and that 100% of inventory is counted within each fiscal year evidenced by (MIDO) in SAP. Monitor and recount high value differences, investigating as necessary to ensure a high level of stock accuracy is maintained
- Assist MRP Controller with any high value or priority purchases
- Ensure the central stores is compliant with Safety and Environmental rules and legislation and that the operatives are fully trained and act at all times in a safe manner Ensuring safe systems of work and risk assessment are regularly completed
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with all key stakeholder to facilitate and develop cost saving strategies across all Mill departments
- Provide stores cover for planned or unplanned machine shuts
- Develop and maintain communications with key suppliers to ensure good working relationships and information exchange on products and services procured
- Accept additional education and training as deemed necessary, as a result of new equipment and/or changes in technology, in order to continue satisfactorily carrying out the role
- When requested, to be available for meetings/projects/working away for short periods of time, which may include occasional overnight trips
- Monitor and assess all Operations / procedures, and when required assist in updating / improvements