Production Engineer / Manager required for manufacturing company in Folkestone, Kent.
Our client is a long established, relatively small but very successful specialist instrumentation equipment manufacturer based in Folkestone, Kent who design and manufacture electronic testing equipment for industry (construction, power, oil & gas etc).
This is a hands-on position, the person needs to fill a combination of technical and man-management roles, and must not be shy about ‘getting their hands dirty’ such as CNC programming, running and fixing machines when required. A team player who will take responsibility, showing energy and commitment, and who delivers on promises.
As a key member of the Management Team reporting to the MD, the Production Engineer / Manager is responsible for a team of 10 staff, managing all aspects of Purchasing, Stores, and Production in both Machine shop and Assembly shop, and Despatch.
The incumbent ensures on a daily basis that the manufacturing team operates in a safe and efficient manner, and that the products meet quality and cost targets.
Close cooperation is required with the Sales team, to ensure that deliveries to customers are timely, and meet promised dates, whilst maintaining stock levels at a minimum satisfactory level having regard for supplier delivery lead times, forecast demand and any special circumstances (eg Brexit).
- Extensive experience in the manufacture and assembly of electromechanical products.
- Demonstrable understanding of Electrical, Electronic, Mechanical and Production Engineering disciplines, logistics & quality control.
- Relevant qualifications.
- Industrial & New Product Introduction experience in an ISO9000 environment.
- Capable of resource planning using specialist ERP and manual planning tools.
- Demonstrably capable of programming CNC machines.
- Computer literate with appropriate capability in MS Office products.
- Presentation and Reporting skills, appropriate command of written & spoken English.
- Enthusiasm, Energy & Drive. Potential to grow with the business.
- Entitlement to work in the UK.
Responsibilities, Goals & Objectives
- Supervise production staff, ensuring safe working practice. Supervise workspace, ensuring that all appropriate safety measures are in place, and are maintained in good order.
- Prepare & maintain the production plan, to make efficient use of the staff and physical resources available.
- Provide timely updates to the Sales team to enable them to liaise effectively with the customer base, in terms of delivery promise dates, and product availability.
- Schedule Works Orders through the production facility to ensure on-time delivery to customers.
- Supervise the Purchase function to ensure that purchased goods and materials are bought at best value and are maintained at agreed stock levels having regard for supplier minimum order quantities & lead times, estimated consumption and an appropriate margin for safety.
- Minimise stock value, having regard for the above-mentioned objectives and constraints.
- Maintain adequate and accurate records, and report on the productivity of the manufacturing operation, and the quality of the goods produced.
Manage Operational Staff
- Assign staff to carry out Works Orders having regard to their training and ability
- Maintain attendance, timekeeping, performance and training records for direct staff.
- Carry out staff appraisals on an annual, or more frequent, basis, ensuring that staff are;
- aware where they have, and have not, met expectations,
- that goals for performance are discussed and agreed, and
- that appropriate training is arranged to help staff develop skills & capabilities.
- Approve absences for staff in line with Company procedures
Manage New Product Introduction
- In conjunction with the Product Engineering team, develop the intended manufacturing route for new components and products. Define and agree any necessary tooling, jigs & fixtures, and test means, and arrange procurement of same in line with Company procedures.
- Visit component, tooling and other suppliers as required.
- Plan additional staff training, particularly where new skills and capabilities are needed to enable the Company to introduce new products or production means.
- Carry out prototype and/or pre-series builds of the product. Develop work instructions, create, input & optimise routings within the Manufacturing System.
- During Initial Production, improve and develop the work instructions and routings, to ensure product quality and improve productivity.
- Work closely with entire team to ensure a smooth product launch.
- Ensure all capital equipment is maintained in good order, planning & carrying out planned preventative maintenance schedules as required.
- Ensure that the factory and surrounding areas are kept clean and tidy at all times.
- Ensure that rubbish is properly segregated and disposed of in line with legislative and procedural requirements.
- Prepare proposals for additional, updated or replacement capital hardware resources where a requirement is or may be evident.
Location & Travel
This position will be based at our premises in Folkestone.
Occasional short duration travel in the UK & Europe may be required.
The company offers a competitive salary and established company bonus scheme, with excellent career potential as the company continues to develop.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.