This is a unique opportunity to join MKC Training delivering engineering science and applied mathematics training at the historic and world famous Royal School of Military Engineering (RSME) based in Brompton, Chatham, Kent.
We are seeking to appoint a Lecturer to join the Professional Engineering Wing (PEW) team, teaching primarily engineering principles, including the corresponding mathematical techniques, up to degree level, and willing to develop towards teaching Laplace and Fourier.
In addition trade level engineering principles and mathematics is taught to specific trades within the school, such as electricians, refrigeration engineers and fitters.
Applied Mathematics and Engineering Science subject areas include:
- Arithmetic / Algebraic Techniques (Fractions, Indices, Ratio, Percentage, Linear/Quadratic/Simultaneous Equations)
- Areas and Volumes (regular/composite/irregular/Pappus)
- Trigonometry (Pythagoras/Trig Ratios, Plane Trig, Solid Trig)
- Calculus (Differential and Integral Techniques)
- Physics (SI Units, Density, Fluids, Calorimetry, Ideal Gas Laws)
- Mechanics (Frameworks, Linear / Angular Motion, Inertia, Machines, Projectiles, Simple Harmonic Motion, Centripetal Force)
- Strength of Materials (Stress/Strain, Simple Bending/Torsion, Beam Deflection)
The successful applicant will be committed to teaching within a modern learning environment and making full use of the technologies and methods available. With small class sizes there is plenty of opportunity to develop a student-centered and problem-based learning environment.
- Degree level qualification incorporating Applied or Engineering Mathematics
- Level 5 or above Teaching Qualification e.g. DTLLS / PGCE / PGCHE or willingness to acquire one within two years of commencement
- Experience in teaching the relevant subject area, or can demonstrate that they have this potential
- SET (Society for Education & Training) Membership
- Ability to undertake and teach practical investigation (laboratory work)
- Ability to successfully work as part of a team
- Ability to motivate and encourage students
- External experience relevant to the subject area
- Willingness to develop towards teaching Laplace and Fourier
- Willingness to participate in the Extended Day Regime (overtime rota)
- Knowledge of relevant safeguarding legislation & requirements, or acquire this knowledge promptly after taking up post
- The use of Applied Mathematics in practical engineering / industry environments.
- Assessment Qualification (A1 or equivalent)
- Quality Assurance Qualification (V1 or equivalent)
- Willingness to translate theory into practical investigation
- Relevant professional qualification / professional body affiliation
- Knowledge & experience of e-learning and e-assessment tools, or the willingness to engage with and develop these forms of learning
- Knowledge & experience of quality assurance & improvement
This role pays £41,820, plus excellent benefits to include 30 days holiday (+ bank holidays), contributory pension scheme and private healthcare.
Our client, MKC Training Services is an equal opportunities employer. They value diversity in their people and all applications will be welcomed and considered regardless of a person’s age, sex, religion, marital status, sexual orientation or ethnic origin. All posts are subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service application. MKC Training Services Ltd follows the DBS Code of Practice.
Note to Recruitment Agencies – this recruitment project is under a managed service contract – direct approaches to the client will not be accepted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.