Senior level Area Electrical Engineer with large building – MV and LV critical systems experience required in central London.
Full-time, permanent position, fantastic benefits, Monday to Friday 9 – 5.15.
The Area Engineer Electrical is a unique opportunity to be part of a world-leading centre of biomedical research and innovation. The position sits within the Facilities and Infrastructure function and reports directly to the Head of the Technical Systems Support team, looking after a building housing 1500 people.
The team comprises a central body of subject matter experts, with the responsibility of providing technical support for the critical building services and control systems, and the associated plant, equipment and core utilities. The jobholder will develop a detailed knowledge of the specialist critical building infrastructure systems and operational processes.
Responsibilities will also include development and implementation of capital improvement projects.
Monitoring, developing and implementing the operations and maintenance strategy for the Medium and Low voltage electrical systems and associated assets throughout the building, providing technical assurance that ensures compliance with the defined specifications.
Responsibilities also include undertaking the role of the MV designated person (11KV).
These include but are not limited to:
- Monitor, develop and implement industry best practice operations and maintenance strategy for Medium and Low voltage electrical systems, and the associated electrical assets throughout the building in conjunction with the Hard FM service partner, acting as the MV designated person.
- Work in conjunction with Engineering Projects team on key infrastructure projects, providing electrical engineering expertise and technical support throughout the whole project lifecycle.
- Identify and develop business cases for energy saving projects that provide optimum life cycle and efficiency of plant and equipment at minimal cost. Ensure operational reliability and resilience is maintained and enhanced without impact to science activities throughout the building.
- Deliver electrical infrastructure capital projects to improve reliability and resilience and energy efficiency of the facility.
- Ensure the business remains compliant within the statutory and regulatory constraints that govern the site operations in line with the electricity at work regulations. In addition, ensure compliance with Home Office, EA, and HSE guidance and regulations.
- Provide engineering and maintenance expertise for effective problem solving and troubleshooting complex problems.
- Carry out internal audits and provide analysis to support monitoring of Hard FM partner compliance with SLA’s and performance against defined specifications and KPI’s.
Key experience and competencies
Qualifications, experience and competencies:
- Minimum HNC or equivalent qualified in an electrical engineering discipline.
- Experience of working in complex and critical process environments at engineer level.
- Excellent working knowledge of automated power management systems and standby electrical generation plant.
- Able to challenge and advise on MV and LV switching schedules.
- Regulatory and legislative requirements including but not limited to Home Office, HSE, British Standards.
- Building services plant, equipment, system design, configuration, installation, commissioning, and operations.
- Managing capital projects through the full lifecycle, including scoping, budget control and contractor management.
- Effective utilisation of planned preventative maintenance (PPM) and facilities management (CAFM) software platforms.
- Excellent IT skills.
- Demonstrated complex problem solving skills.
- A self-starter and strong team player, flexible and able to work effectively without close supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and able to develop excellent working relationships with all relevant departments.
- Degree qualified in engineering discipline.
- Experience of working with high containment or laboratory based facilities including cGLP.
This is a unique opportunity to join the senior engineering team of a world-class organisation.