Rare opportunity for a 1st Line IT Support Engineer in North Birmingham, West Midlands.
Our client is a global company with 46k+ employees at 350 locations. Most of the locations are factory environments. Technology is used heavily to help run the plants efficiently and ensure products are made to specification and delivered on time.
This 1st Line Support role is to provide technical assistance to people at 9 of the UK locations, based at Birmingham where support will be a mixture of face to face or using remote tools. The mill in Birmingham runs 24×363 days a year, to take part in a support rota is expected.
Salary = £41K including standby payment (2 weeks of 5 call out rota)
The company invests well in technology; part of this role is to manage the rolling upgrades of client devices to keep on supported hardware and operating systems. They are accelerating use of cloud technology, so you would be involved in assisting others to adopt new technologies such as Microsoft Teams.
You will be comfortable helping customers from different parts of the business; executives, engineers, production crews, logistic loaders.
Being methodical – certain aspects of the role have to follow company procedures; this extends outside the IT function – the company takes the health and safety of its employees very seriously.
The Service Desk is responsible for all first line enquiries and reported issues for users of UK IT systems. The Service Desk also own and maintain all Systems Administration activities working to agreed service levels. Investigate and resolves where possible computer software, hardware and communications incidents from your customers. Assigning accurate data to support teams and escalating when necessary on behalf of the customer.
- Provide 1st line IT support for customers.
- Liaise with colleagues to research problems and find solutions or log/assign a call to the relevant support team and chase up the call until the issue has been resolved and the customer is satisfied.
- Escalate issues to 2nd/3rd Line support teams and management where appropriate.
- Complete daily checks following procedures.
- Receive and process requests from customers requiring change of systems access permissions, advising the business accordingly.
- Create/amend/delete system access for users on multiple systems
- Maintain accurate authorisation lists that are freely available to all team members, and management on request for inspection
- Take part in an out of hours support rota
- Assist with compulsory system reviews/audits
- Maintain device inventories for procurement planning of client devices.
- Procuring IT equipment using SAP, allocating purchases to the correct cost codes
- Ensure implementation and adherence to the Security Policy.
- Ensure best use of automated toolsets to assist with the delivery of all service
- To liaise with other departments to achieve best possible operating practices
- Good verbal and communication skills
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Be educated to at least ‘A’ level standard
- Be Self-Motivated
- Good Customer Service Skills
- Experience of client computer building and application maintenance, for example MECM.
- Experience with of Active Directory Structure and other Microsoft server technologies.
- Experience working within ITIL based environment in particular Incident and Problem management disciplines.
- An awareness of all risks associated with the Service Desk.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of Incident, Problem and Change Management processes
- Knowledge of business process evaluation and analysis
- Knowledge of MS Office, SNOW Asset management, VMware, Veeam Backup, IGEL Thin Client Management, Canon Uniflow / MFP managed print solution
- Worked with Dell hardware and Cisco LAN equipment